2.16.2022

7-Eleven Unending Opera

For: 7-Eleven
Occasion: Being the worst





The 7-Eleven across the street from my home installed external speakers to blast opera music 24/7 to "keep homeless away." This card features an illustration of me, nervous system wrecked, plugging my ears with opera singers in front of an iconic 7/11 sign.


Here's what is, my friends:

Folks who are unhoused have been displaced by capitalism. 

Capitalism actively supports the flourishing of international chains like 7-Eleven.

7-Eleven's corporate overlords do not want to have people displaced by capitalism hanging around their stores, so they blast opera music to deter them from congregating. 

This practice is called a "social deterrent" when used in urban settings. It's called torture elsewhere. 

It's effective at making people leave, because the barrage of sounds causes psychological deterioration in humans if they stay.

But.

I live here.

I can't exactly "move along." 

Yes, I've tried all the things, including noise complaints with the city. Talking to employees who say they cannot turn the music down; I'm certain it's true that they can't. Talking to the manager who says it's out of his hands. I'm certain that's true, too.

Turns out it's Capitalism that's the worst neighbor I've ever had, not the people capitalism has displaced. 

Lord, Slurpee me strength. 

Nah, no slurpees. Boycott this inhumane garbage dump of a chain forever. 

--

I don't have socials. 7-Eleven may never see the frazzled scribblings of a humble card-maker at her wit's end.  When I don't know what else to do, I make cards. 

No comments:

Post a Comment