10.25.2010

Self-care lesson

For: Myself
Occasion: teaching self-care

I got to teach a lesson on self-care, so I decided to use my favorite self-care activity as a frame for the lesson--that's right, we made greeting cards!



To start, we drew pictures of what self-care looks like to us. My self-care lately has been riding my bike, so here's a (riderless) bike going through a (hilly) field of flowers. I gave us plenty of time to draw and conceptualize, and we also listened to some music (and ate chocolate, and did deep breathing, and did self-affirmations, and-and-and!).

On the inside of our cards (after discussing cognitive distortions and what gets in the way of self-care), we wrote messages to ourselves about how great we are, what a good job we're doing, and to what degree we found ourselves hilarious that day. (I was highly hilarious, no worries.)

I was nervous about it because it was the first lesson I got to teach all by myself, without any help from my supervisor. They seemed to enjoy it, for the most part, and I got lots of positive feedback--phew!

All-in-all, it was neat to let my students in on a very big part of my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment